Events are only considered successful when our volunteers feel safe, stress-free and cared for before, during and after a competition day. The main aim is for both students and volunteers to have a rewarding day and your experience as a volunteer is determined by you and your fellow volunteers.
The purpose of this page is to provide a guide for volunteers on the main aspects of supporting an event, the measures in place to help you during the day, as well as to provide tips and tricks to improve your time at the competition.
Before Competition Day
The UKSDC is proud to have large and growing group of volunteers and supporters. If you’re an UKSDC alumni, space enthusiast or just want to become involved in supporting the competition, we would like to welcome you to our team.
If you are new to volunteering, please contact Sam Hession, our Head of Events and Administration, by email at [email protected]. From there, you can be added to our volunteer group chat where we will share competition announcements, volunteer news and information on how to sign up to assist in events.
Through this, you will be connected to the registration form where you will be able to see our roster of events across the UK and sign up to where you would like to volunteer. Please sign up for events with reasonable discretion.
- We value your help at event, but we always want you to prioritise your personal commitments and any pressing work associated to your education or occupation.
- If you are a first time volunteer, try to go to regional competitions that have lots of SSEF staff and experienced volunteers present. There, our existing volunteers will be able to better guide you through the organisation of the competition and supporting competitors.
- During some weeks, multiple events are being run and therefore it may not be possible for all SSEF organising staff to be present. We recommend signing up to these events if you are an experienced volunteer who would like to develop operations and organisational experience. Otherwise, choosing a competition that is the lone event running on a given date may be more suitable.
To verify SSEF staff precense or further information regarding volunteer registration Contact Sam Hession, at [email protected].
On Competition Day
We’ve made it to the competition day!
Prior to event kick-off and the introductory presentation, a volunteer briefing will take place where all necessary announcements will be made. Information such as volunteer role and company allocations will be communicated prior to the event but will be repeated during the briefing, as well as changes to arrangements or scheduling.
Company-specific volunteers will be informed of any students with additional personal needs and the required steps to take if assistance is required.
This briefing will also be an opportunity to meet your fellow volunteers, ask any questions you may have specific to the event or be provided with general volunteering advice.
After Competition Day
We encourage you to include your experience volunteering at the UKSDC on your CV and future applications.
Examples of skills you may have developed include:
- Mentoring and providing technical guidance to students aged 15 to 18 in STEM project work.
- Facilitated regional and/or national scale events, developing event planning and organisational experience.
- Worked as part of a large team or network of volunteers in collaborating to meet event demands and ensure the smooth running of an event.
- Presented technical briefings or presentations, advising students on key transferable skills such as problem-solving, communication and team organisation.